...head section stuff (Title, Description,etc.)... Through the Eyes of Glen: Deer Hunting - What is Your Mindset?

Pages

Monday, October 31, 2011

Deer Hunting - What is Your Mindset?

Deer Hunting Season just ended in the state I'm living in. It reminds me of a time when I was in middle school and I mentioned that my family hunts. When I made the comment a girl said I was a horrible person for killing deer. I took the next few weeks explaining to her how my family hunts for food; not just for sport. She still stated that I was a ruthless killer of poor defenseless animals. I continued to explain all of the work that goes into the hunt. Not only is it a lot of work but we also process our deer rather than having it done commercially. To have deer meat processed commercially reduces the quality of the meat because of the laxness of the job done. I explained to her how deer has to be handled with care if you want to end up with desirable meat. I also showed her how we depend on the meat ( which we do or do not get in a short time period) for the rest of the year. It saves us money as long as we do it ourselves.

She still though I was heartless. I then explained the difference between getting deer meat and beef. The cow does not stand a chance. The cow does not stand a chance unless they die early from other causes. For example my landlord has two cows that he has been raising to sell for some money. This last week one of them died from pneumonia; hundreds of dollars were lost in an instant. In any case the cow will die at a determined time if not sooner. This girl did not have a problem with eating beef and she started to realize that hunting was not so bad. It can be bad when people hunt just to say they got one or the biggest one and then they waste the deer. These people are wasteful and they think what they want is more important than everything else.
 
This same mindset runs rampant among our society.  In jobs I have had I have seen people waste so much. In construction there were areas for us to recycle copper and other metals. There woulbe people who would through away recyclable items even with a recycle bin right next to the trash. In a job as a janitor I witnessed people throw away food that they had not touched, clothes barely worn, even money. At an hourly paid job there were other workers who wanted me to work slowly so the job would take longer so we would get paid more. These things are wrong. Now I will be the first to admit that I am not perfect at using everything and having no waste. There will always be some waste. The question is why is there waste. The waste I have been mentioning is caused from laziness, disrespect, feelings of entitlement, greed, pride, and ignorance. 

I hope that whoever reads this, if anyone, will examine their life actions and change. Stand up and to that which is right. examine the whole situation  before you make a judgement. 

If you are wondering if I got a deer this last week I can tell you that I did. Now my wife and I will have some needed meat, I am unemployed and we can use the meat. I am grateful to have food for this coming year. We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment